- Writing samples (up to 40 pages). *The application requires at least 15 pages of writing, and at least two different and complete essays. If your essays are very short, you may submit more than two amounting to at least 15 pages.*
- Letter of Introduction (500 words or fewer). This letter is an informal statement to help the committee learn more about you and why you’d like to participate in the Incubator. Please address:
1) the kind/type/genre of essays you write or hope to be writing;
2) any goals for your work and publication, and what you’d like to learn over our eight months together;
3) your experience offering feedback in a workshop setting, and what you think you can offer the class and your fellow writers.
- Reference from a GrubStreet instructor or equivalent workshop leader. No letter is necessary. There is a place on the application form to list your reference and their contact info.
- Experience in at least two workshops at GrubStreet or an equivalent writing center, MFA program, or conference. There is a place on the application form to list the titles and dates of previous workshops.
- There is no application fee.
The application for the 2020-2021 Essay Incubator is now closed.
The entire cost of the program is $3,995. Tuition is payable in two installments. Partial fellowships are available and based on a combination of merit and financial need (see below). Students may also be expected to purchase a few anthologies as “textbooks”; these will cost approximately $100 total over the course of the program.
We strive to locate support for our program participants who need it, and we aim to provide substantial fellowships to successful applicants.
In order to be considered for one of our fellowships, you will have the option to fill out the Fellowship section at the end of your application to the program. Only one application is necessary to be considered for any of our funding options. Admitted students can expect notification on their fellowship status at the time of admission to the program. While all Essay Incubator applicants can expect to be notified of their standing by the Essay Incubator Selection Committee, applicants not accepted into the program will not receive a separate notification from the Fellowship Committee.
If you have any questions, please email [email protected].