Learn Anytime, Day or Night (or Somewhere in Between)!
Don’t live in Boston? Prefer to learn from the comfort of your couch in PJs? We’re not here to judge. Wherever you are, our online courses bring the GrubStreet classroom experience to you. Online classes are flexible in schedule, with most classes having no set meeting time, so you can learn whenever works best for you. Dig into dynamic craft lessons, inspiring prompts and assignments, compelling, diverse readings, helpful peer and instructor feedback, and more through our interactive and super easy-to-use platform (designed specifically for writers!), Wet Ink. To get a sense of how the platform works, you can check out this short video.
COVID-19 Update: In addition to our usual online classes, all of GrubStreet’s formerly in-person Summer 2020 classes will now be held remotely, via video-conference. A little guide to language: “remote” classes are those that will meet via video conference at a specific date and time, while “online” classes (like the ones listed below) take place on Wet Ink, our online learning platform, and have no set meeting times. Check out our full class schedule of “remote” and “online” classes.
Current Online Offerings
Starting in September 2021
- Jumpstart Your Creative Writing: Exploring Genre, with Carolyn Zaikowski
- Jumpstart Your YA Novel, with Katie Bayerl
Starting in October 2021
- Scrivener 101, with Alison Murphy
- Intro to the Personal Essay, with Paul Haney
- Intro to Fiction, with Kat Gonso
- Short Story Builder, with Kate Senecal
- Novel Outlining, with Blair Hurley
- Get Submission Ready, with Caroline Woods
- 6 Weeks, 3 Essays, with E.B. Bartels
Starting in November 2021
- Encountering the Past: Researching Historical Fiction, with Cam Terwilliger
- Jumpstart Your Novel: NaNoWriMo, with Alison Murphy
- Beginning to End: Building the Personal Essay, with Shuchi Saraswat
- 6 Weeks, 6 Themes, with Cindy Juyoung Ok
- 6 Weeks, 6 Stories, with Meghan Lamb
- Writing the Body, with Aimee Suzara
- 6 Weeks, 3 Essays, with Judith Hertog
How It Works
On the day before your class begins, you'll receive an invitation with instructions on how to log into Wet Ink, our online class platform, where you can explore your class materials, readings, and details on how your class will run (if you want to get a sense of how the platform works, you can check out this short video!). On the first day of class, you will receive a welcome email from your instructor with any final directions and information you might need.
Students in our online workshops need not have any experience taking web-based classes, though some familiarity with the internet and online communities will make for a smoother experience. To minimize technical problems, students should have access to a reliable internet connection and an updated browser (we recommend Google Chrome).
If you have any questions about our online classes, please email us at [email protected].