Learn Anytime, Day or Night (or Somewhere in Between)!
Don’t live in Boston? Prefer to learn from the comfort of your couch in PJs? We’re not here to judge. Wherever you are, our online courses bring the GrubStreet classroom experience to you. Dig into dynamic craft lessons, inspiring prompts and assignments, compelling, diverse readings, helpful peer and instructor feedback and more through our interactive and super easy-to-use platform.
Online classes are flexible in schedule, with most classes having no set meeting time, so you can learn whenever works best for you. Classes tend to fall into one of three categories:
- Surveys. If you’re new to creative
writing,or want to experiment with a different genre or learn more about a particular topic, a survey course is a great place to start! These courses are meant to introduce students to newtopic and/or genres of writing, and include craft lessons, readings, and discussion, as well as supportive, encouraging feedback.
- Generators. If you’re looking for accountability and inspiration to write, write, write, then this is the best type of class for you! The focus of this class is on writing as much as possible through a series of inspiring prompts and assignments, discussing our work (and process) with classmates, and reading published examples.
- Workshops. If you’re ready for more rigorous critique, then a workshop is the best place for you to receive feedback to help you find out what’s working, and help
improvewhat’s not. These classes follow more closely to a traditional workshop. In addition to craft lessons, readings, and assignments, students discuss their work weekly in cohorts,and are formally workshopped 2-3 times throughout the course of the class.
Starting in August
- Writing Sentences That Sing with instructor Colwill Brown
- The Healing Diaries: Writing about Illness with instructor Nicole Miller
Starting in September
- Intro to Poetry: Online with instructor Aimee Suzara
- Intro to the Personal Essay with instructor Sari Boren
- Intro to Fiction: Online with instructor Maya Lang
- 6 Weeks, 6 Stories: Online with instructor Kate Senecal
- 6 Weeks, 6 Poems: Online 6 Weeks, 6 Poems: Online with instructor Laura Keisel
- Memoir Builder: Online with instructor E.B. Bartels
- Novel Outlining Intensive: Online with instructor Blair Hurley
- Jumpstart Your Novel: Online with instructor Becky Tuch
- 6 Weeks, 6 Essays: Online with instructor Monica Busch
- Finding Your Narrative Strategy: Online with instructor Alison Murphy
- Crafting Scene: Online with instructor Nora Corrigan
- Momentum Intensive: Hook and Propel Your Readers (Online) with instructor Sarah Jane Cody
- Plotting the Short Story: Online with instructor Colin Corrigan
- Intro to Screenwriting & TV Writing: Online with instructor Shari Frost
Structuring Your Personal Essay: Online with instructor Judith Hertog
Starting in October
- Novel In Progress with instructor Cam Terwilliger
- Novel Builder with instructor Kelly Dalke
- Reading Like a Writer with instructor Jackie Cangro
- YA/MG Novel Builder with instructor Katie Bayerl
- Scrivener Intensive with instructor Alison Murphy
- Supernatural Fiction with instructor Nicole Miller
- Writing the Short, Publishable Personal Essay with instructor Ethan Gilsdorf
- Science and Nature Writing with instructor Alix Morris
How It Works
On the day before your class begins, you'll receive an invitation with instructions on how to log into Wet Ink, our online class platform, where you can explore your class materials, readings, and details on how your class will run. On the first day of class, you will receive a welcome email from your instructor with any final directions and information you might need.
Students in our online workshops need not have any experience taking web-based classes, though some familiarity with the internet and online communities will make for a smoother experience. To minimize technical problems, students should have access to a reliable internet connection and an updated browser (we recommend Google Chrome).
If you have any questions about our online classes, please email us at [email protected].