Learn Anytime, Day or Night (or Somewhere in Between)!
Don’t live in Boston? Prefer to learn from the comfort of your couch in PJs? We’re not here to judge. Wherever you are, our online courses bring the GrubStreet classroom experience to you. Dig into dynamic craft lessons, inspiring prompts and assignments, compelling, diverse readings, helpful peer and instructor feedback and more through our interactive and super easy-to-use platform.
Online classes are flexible in schedule, with most classes having no set meeting time, so you can learn whenever works best for you. Classes tend to fall into one of three categories:
- Surveys. If you’re new to creative
writing,or want to experiment with a different genre or learn more about a particular topic, a survey course is a great place to start! These courses are meant to introduce students to newtopic and/or genres of writing,and include craft lessons, readings, and discussion, as well as supportive, encouraging feedback.
- Generators. If you’re looking for accountability and inspiration to write, write, write, then this is the best type of class for you! The focus of this class is on writing as much as possible through a series of inspiring prompts and assignments, discussing our work (and process) with classmates, and reading published examples.
- Workshops. If you’re ready for more rigorous critique, then a workshop is the best place for you to receive feedback to help you find out what’s working, and help
improvewhat’s not. These classes follow more closely to a traditional workshop. In addition to craft lessons, readings, and assignments, students discuss their work weekly in cohorts,and are formally workshopped 2-3 times throughout the course of the class.
- Intro to Fiction - *FULL* Starts June 19th
- 6 Weeks, 6 Stories - *2 SPOTS LEFT* Starts June 19th
- Plan Your Novel in Eight Weeks - *FULL* - Starts June 19th
- Revising Your Essay - Starts June 19th
- Novel Revision Intensive - *3 SPOTS LEFT* Starts June 19th
- The Final Drafts: Revising Your Short Fiction - Starts June 26th
- 6 Weeks, 6 Picture Books - Starts July 3rd
- 6 Weeks, 6 Poems - Starts July 24th
- Intro to Fiction - Starts July 24th
- 6 Weeks, 6 Stories - Starts July 24th
- 6 Weeks, 6 Essays - Starts July 24th
- Introduction to Scrivener - Starts July 24th
- Jumpstart Your Novel - Starts July 24th
- Plan Your Novel in Eight Weeks - Starts July 24th
How It Works
On the day before your class begins, you'll receive an invitation with instructions on how to log into Wet Ink, our online class platform, where you can explore your class materials, readings, and details on how your class will run. On the first day of class, you will receive a welcome email from your instructor with any final directions and information you might need.
Students in our online workshops need not have any experience taking web-based classes, though some familiarity with the internet and online communities will make for a smoother experience. To minimize technical problems, students should have access to a reliable internet connection and an updated browser (we recommend Google Chrome).
If you have any questions about our online classes, please email Alison Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org.