Write Down the Street Consulting Information
Take Advantage of Write Down the Street's FREE 1-on-1 Consulting Program!
What is it?
- A free program where Write Down the Street students can request individual writing consultations with a professional writer.
- Since only a limited number of hours are available, students whose requests are approved can expect to receive up to 2 hours of consulting time. Any more hours beyond that will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Students can request any Write Down the Street current or past instructor as a consultant.
Who can use this program?
- This consulting is part of the Write Down the Street program and is intended for writers who have been underrepresented in writing workshops due to cost, racism, immigration status, language access, lack of access to transportation, and other barriers.
- Participants must be current or past Write Down the Street students.
- Anyone who is not eligible for WDtS consulting can find a list of paid consultants on GrubStreet’s website.
Typical reasons to use the WDtS Free Consulting Program:
- To get guidance on a creative writing portfolio used to apply to fellowships, residencies, and graduate degree programs.
- To review longer works that cannot be easily reviewed during normal WDtS Office Hours or in a WDtS class. (Note: maximum page count is 20—anything longer will be scheduled on a case-by-case basis)
What do I do if I want to use this consulting program?
- Contact the WDtS instructor you want to work with and let them know you want to request free consulting hours with them. Share as much information about your project as possible: page count, your goals for the project, what type of feedback you feel would be most helpful to you in this process, etc.
- The instructor will file a request for you, and if approved, will connect with you to plan your consulting sessions.