Emerging Writer Fellowship
Thanks to all who applied to the 2018 Emerging Writer Fellowship. Congratulations to Emerging Writer Fellow Jéssica Oliveira, and our first-ever Anita Shreve Emerging Writer Fellow, Joanna Kim.
Next year's application will be available in early 2019.
"This fellowship has been the battery pack I needed to remind me that I am a writer whether I am inside an MFA program or outside of it, and it will be the foundation of the writing career I know I will be able to launch now if I remain consistent and confident and stay the course GrubStreet has helped me find."
Shawnna Thomas, first recipient of GrubStreet's Emerging Writer Fellowship
In a Nutshell
The Emerging Writer Fellowship aims to develop new, exciting voices by providing one writer per year tuition-free access to GrubStreet’s classes and Muse & the Marketplace conferences. Over the course of one year, the Emerging Writer Fellow will attend a combination of seminars and multi-week courses of their choosing, bookended by attendance at both the 2018 and the 2019 Muse & the Marketplace conference, in order to enhance their understanding of craft and the publishing industry.
To learn more, check out, “My Big Debt to GrubStreet? Grub is Compass and Lifesaver,” by first-time Emerging Fellowship recipient, Shawnna Thomas.
The Fellowship application period is now closed for the 2018-19 cycle.
The Emerging Writer Fellowship will be awarded to a person who demonstrates a passion for writing, a commitment to developing their writing abilities, and financial need. Any person 18 and older who demonstrates ability and passion for writing is eligible.
The Emerging Writer Fellowship will provide one writer access to the following:
- 4 multi-week courses
- 4 one-day (6hr) classes
- 4 three-hour seminars
- 3-day pass to the 2018 and 2019 Muse & the Marketplace conferences
- Access to GrubStreet's Artistic Director for quarterly (or as-needed) office hours for personalized mentorship. Not Required.
The fellowship year begins at the 2018 Muse & the Marketplace conference and culminates in attendance at the 2019 Muse & the Marketplace.
Who Should Apply
This fellowship is open to anyone 18 and older with a passion for writing. The fellowship specifically aims to assist writers in need of financial assistance in reaching their writing goals. We particularly encourage people of color, ethnic minorities, those who identify as LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and other members of communities historically underrepresented by the literary community to apply.
How to Apply
The Emerging Writer Fellowship application will require the following:
- A writing sample that demonstrates the applicant’s artistic ability and voice. 5-10 pages for prose, screenwriting, or playwriting. 3-7 pages for poetry.
- A 500 word (maximum) personal statement, which should detail the following:
- How the fellowship would contribute to the applicant’s growth and success as a writer.
- The applicant’s writing and workshop history (Note: Prior workshop experience is not required).
- How the applicant envisions using the fellowship. For example, what courses might the applicant take and why?
- Application deadline is March 1st (11:
- Award Announced March 31st
- The Fellowship year begins on April 6, 2018