Emerging Writer Fellowship
In a Nutshell
The Emerging Writer Fellowship aims to develop new, exciting voices by providing one writer per year tuition-free access to GrubStreet’s classes and Muse conference. Over the course of one year, the Emerging Writer Fellow will attend a combination of seminars and multi-week courses of their choosing, bookended by attendance at both the 2017 and the 2018 Muse and the Marketplace conference, in order to enhance their understanding of craft and the publishing industry. The Fellowship application period is now closed for the 2017-18 cycle.
The Emerging Writer Fellowship will be awarded to a person who demonstrates a passion for writing, a commitment to developing their writing abilities, and financial need. Any person 18 and older who demonstrates ability and passion for writing is eligible.
The Emerging Writer Fellowship will provide one writer access to the following:
- 4 multi-week courses
- 4 one-day (6hr) classes
- 4 three-hour seminars
- 2 three-day passes to the Muse and the Marketplace conference
The fellowship year begins at the 2017 Muse and the Marketplace conference and culminates in attendance at the 2018 Muse and the Marketplace.
Why We Created This Fellowship
The Emerging Writer Fellowship was conceived on the principle that talent and passion shouldn't come second to a student's ability to pay. The program is designed for someone with a love for writing but without the financial ability to deepen their understanding of the craft through the many classes and seminars GrubStreet offers.
Who Should Apply
This fellowship is open to anyone 18 and older with a passion for writing. The fellowship specifically aims to assist writers in need of financial assistance in reaching their writing goals. We particularly encourage people of color, ethnic minorities, those who identify as LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and other members of communities historically underrepresented by the literary community to apply.
How to Apply
The Emerging Writer Fellowship application will require the following:
- A writing sample that demonstrates the applicant’s artistic ability and voice. 7-25 pages for prose, screenwriting, or playwriting. 7-10 pages for poetry.
- A 500 word (maximum) personal statement, which should detail the following:
- How the fellowship would contribute to the applicant’s growth and success as a writer.
- The applicant’s writing and workshop history (Note: Prior workshop experience is not required).
- How the applicant envisions using the fellowship. For example, what courses might the applicant take and why?
- A 500 word (maximum) statement of need, which should demonstrate the applicant’s financial need.
The Emerging Writer Fellowship application period is now closed for the 2017-18 cycle
- Application opens January 9th
- Application deadline is March 1st (11:59:59pm)
- Award Announced March 31st
- The Fellowship year begins on May 5th, 2017