Lit Up Gala
Get ready to celebrate GrubStreet’s 20th Anniversary with your favorite literary stars!
Thanks to the generosity of supporters like you, GrubStreet has provided a rigorous and loving community for creative writers of all ages, backgrounds, types, and talents for 20 years. With you in attendance, this year’s Lit Up gala will enable GrubStreet to keep increasing its scholarships, free community workshops, and classes for homeless women and teens, so that writers of every community can develop their voices and share their artistry. Last year, donations through Lit Up helped to provide scholarships and free classes to one third of our teen and adult students in 2016. Please join us in celebrating and expanding the nation’s most inclusive and accessible writing center.
This year's milestone event will feature:
- Emcee Meghna Chakrabarti, host of Radio Boston on WBUR and Modern Love: The Podcast, a collaborative digital production between WBUR and The New York Times
- 2017 Grubby Winner, Alice Hoffman, The New York Times best-selling author of Faithful, The Foretelling, The Marriage of Opposites, and The Museum of Extraordinary Things
- An All-Star 10X2 program, featuring performances from best-selling authors and star Grubbies:
- Ayanna Pressley, Boston City Councilor-at-large
- Anita Shreve, author of more than a dozen novels, including New York Times best-sellers The Stars Are Fire, The Weight of Water, and Oprah’s Book Club pick The Pilot’s Wife
- Andre Dubus III, author of Dirty Love, Townie, Oprah Book Club pick and National Book Award finalist House of Sand and Fog, and others
- Grace Talusan, winner of the 2017 Restless Books Prize for New Immigrant Writing for Nonfiction for her memoir The Body Papers
- David Goldstein, Novel Incubator program graduate
- Ann Hood, award-winning author of several works, including the nationally bestselling novel The Red Thread
- Claudia Inglessis, a 2017 Young Adult Writers Program Summer Fellow and winner of a Helen Creeley Student Poetry Prize
- Marianne Leone, actress, screenplay writer, and author of memoirs Jesse: A Mother’s Story and Ma Speaks Up
- Mario Alberto Zambrano, professional dancer, fiction writer, and author of Loteria, a Barnes & Noble Great New Pick for 2013 and finalist for the 2014 John Gardner Fiction Award
- Jorge Vega, author of the graphic novel Gunplay
- Inspired food and drinks
Lit Up will be held at the Benjamin Franklin Institute, located at 41 Berkeley Street in Boston. For directions to this venue, please visit http://www.bfit.edu/about-us/contact-us.
If you need accessibility assistance, such as a ramp, to attend Lit Up, please email email@example.com.
Attire at Lit Up is casual chic, but don't be afraid to dress to the nines—it's a party!
Registration, food, and drinks will open at 6:30pm. The event program will start at 7:30pm. Dessert and coffee will be available 9-10pm.
Thank you to our growing list of 2017 Lit Up Hosts and Sponsors!
Jeanne & John Blasberg
Christy & Jay Cashman
Julie & Sean Dalton
Shelly Dickson Carr
Jill & Stephen Karp
Sharissa Jones & Daniel Medwed
Sondra & Norman Levenson
Jeff Mayersohn & Linda Seamonson
Terri-Lynn McCormick & Jack Szostak
Vinay Mehra & Anne Pinto
Novel Incubator Alumni Group
Deborah Plummer Bussey & Michael Bussey
Kathy & Patrick Sherbrooke
Rob Wilstein & Lorri Berenberg
Fanclub Sponsors ($1,000)
William Buffett & Susan Kennedy
Fangirl Sponsors ($500)
Sophie Powell & Christian Westra
Hillary Hedges Rayport & Jeffrey Rayport
Poets & Writers
Simon & Schuster