Lit Up Gala
Thursday, November 3rd, 2016
6:30pm - 10:00pm
425 Summer Street
Boston, MA 02210
When’s the last time you went to a party . . . and changed a person’s life?
Tickets and donations to last year’s Lit Up gala allowed GrubStreet to open our doors wider than ever. Because of your support, we nearly doubled the number of scholarships we awarded. That translates to over 170 scholarships to aspiring, talented writers this year, including 44 teens. We also supported a whopping 43% of our advanced students.
So, get ready to party at Lit Up again and help us reach our goal of 250 scholarships in 2017. Your tickets to Lit Up offer you a night of literary magic while ensuring that GrubStreet remains the nation’s most accessible writing center.
This year's event will feature:
The winner of the 2016 Grubby award, Lisa Genova, author of Still Alice, which was adapted into an Acadamy Award-winning film featuring Julianne Moore
Comedian and GrubStreet instructor Steve Macone as emcee
Our signature 10x2 program (10 writers performing for 2 minutes each)
A live literary auction of fun, unique experiences for writers and readers
Dinner and an open bar for all attendees
While the dress code at Laugh Boston is casual chic, at GrubStreet, we believe that a gala is no laughing matter. Don't be afraid to pull out that little black dress or your best bowtie—it's a party!
New this year, we are pleased to announce that we are covering the cost of parking at a nearby parking lot at 492 Summer Street, a 2-minute walk from the venue. Buy your tickets early to ensure you reserve a spot as we expect that these free parking spots will sell out soon! There is also a self-parking garage on-site, a valet service, and plentiful metered spots on Summer Street. The venue is a short walk from South Station and is served by the Silver Line.
In addition to funding scholarships, your donations help GrubStreet deepen our mission of expanding access, building a racially and economically inclusive community, and encouraging the next generation of young writers. Last year we began holding free classes in low-income neighborhoods, including Roxbury and Dorchester. In 2017, with your support, we’ll expand free classes in underserved communities across the city. We’ll also expand our writing workshops in programs serving homeless women and teens in Boston.
One ticket will guarantee a night of revelry with friends new and old.
Enjoy reserved seats for the evening's entertainment, have a home base during cocktail hour, and enjoy custom name tags and party favors with a table for 4. A good way to introduce friends to that writing center you're always going on about.
Enjoy reserved seats for the evening's entertainment, have a home base during cocktail hour, and enjoy custom name tags and party favors with a table for 6. A great way to finally include your in-laws in that yearly party full of writers.
Enjoy reserved seats for the evening's entertainment, have a home base during cocktail hour, and enjoy custom name tags and party favors with a table for 8. A wonderful way to bring your book club to meet their favorite authors.
Enjoy reserved seats for the evening's entertainment, have a home base during cocktail hour, and enjoy custom name tags and party favors with a table for 10. The best way to pack the party with friendly faces (although, if you know GrubStreet, then you know all the faces at the party will be the friendliest around).
Lit Up Program
GRUBBY AWARD WINNER
Lisa Genova graduated valedictorian, summa cum laude from Bates College with a degree in Biopsychology and has a Ph.D. in Neuroscience from Harvard University. Acclaimed as the Oliver Sacks of fiction and the Michael Crichton of brain science, she is the author of the New York Times bestselling novels Still Alice, Left Neglected, Love Anthony, and Inside the O’Briens.
Still Alice has spent 59 weeks on the New York Times bestseller list. It won the 2008 Bronte Prize and the 2011 Bexley Book of the Year, and it was nominated for the 2010 Indies Choice Debut Book of the Year by the American Booksellers Association. It was the #6 Top Book Group Favorite of 2009 by Reading Group Choices, a 2009 Barnes & Noble Discover Pick, a 2009 Indie Next pick, a 2009 Borders Book Club Pick, and a 2009 Target Book Club pick. There are over 2.6 million copies in print, and it has been translated into 37 languages. It was chosen as one of the thirty titles for World Book Night 2013. Still Alice is an Academy Award winning film from Sony Pictures Classics starring Julianne Moore, Alec Baldwin, Kristen Stewart, Kate Bosworth, and Hunter Parrish. Julianne Moore won the 2015 Best Actress Oscar for her role as Alice Howland. It is also one of the top 10 Independent Movies of 2015 on iTunes.
TEN WRITERS. TWO MINUTES EACH.
GrubStreet's signature 10x2 program is always a highlight of our Lit Up gala. Ten writers, representing all we do at GrubStreet, storm the stage for two minutes each to read their best work.
2016 10x2 Readers:
Mariama Savage - 2016 YAWP Slam Team
Bob Fernandes - Novel Incubator
Alicia Googins - Memoir Incubator
Shirley Jones Luke - Neighborhood Workshops
Wendy Mnookin - Instructor
Ethan Gilsdorf - Instructor
Bill Buffett - Student
Tyler Roze - Neighborhood Workshops
Val Wang - 2016 Muse Presenter
Michelle Garcia - 2016 YAWP Summer Fellowship
Live Literary Auction
- Name a Character in Lisa Genova’s Next Novel. Have you ever wanted to memorialize your beloved Aunt Dottie in the pages of a novel? Or immortalize yourself as a character in a book—but not at the hands of a vindictive ex? Now’s your chance to name a character in Grubby Award Winner Lisa Genova’s next novel after yourself or a loved one! Who knows—maybe Julianne Moore (the star of the movie adaptation of Lisa’s novel Still Alice) will win an Oscar for her portrayal of YOU!
- Cambridge Literary Loop. Step inside the homes of not one, but FOUR of Cambridge’s top writers for an unforgettable “moveable feast” across Harvard Square. Join Cantabrigian authors Mameve Medwed, Margot Livesey, and literary power couple Stephen McCauley & Sebastian Stuart for a “progressive meal,” starting with hors d’oeuvres in the first home, the main course in the next, and dessert and coffee at the final destination. Each author will join you as you walk to the next location, so the party will continue to grow all night! For up to 8 people.
- Seaside Writer’s Retreat. Win a custom writer’s retreat for you and your writing group in a gorgeous beach town home just steps from the ocean. At the end of the retreat, GrubStreet Novel Incubator instructor Michelle Hoover will attend a living room reading of the work produced throughout the retreat and will provide on-the-spot consultations of your work. Get away from it all, and get writing! For up to 6 people.
- “Moby Dick” Nantucket Vacation. Relax at a gorgeous beachfront home in Nantucket. Enjoy the restaurants, bars, and other attractions in the historic town center, or just put your feet up with a good book. Soak up the Moby Dick-inspired energy of the island and leave ready to sail smoothly back into your regular life. For up to 8 people.
- Book Club Dinner Party with Jennifer Haigh. Who could pass up a chance to have a dinner party with a critically acclaimed author—but without the stress of organizing and catering it? Join Jennifer Haigh, author of the novels Faith, News from Heaven, and most recently Heat & Light for a book club dinner party in the Beacon Hill home of a GrubStreet board member. No clean up necessary. For up to 12 people—and writing groups are welcome, too!