TEEN Summer: Heroes & Villains in Fiction (REMOTE)
***This class will be hosted remotely! You'll receive an email from your instructor about 15 minutes before your class is scheduled to begin with a Zoom link. There is no need to download or sign up for Zoom in advance!***
“We enjoy plot, but we remember characters,” mega-literary agent Jonny Geller has written, and it’s true, isn’t it? Sympathetic fictional heroes can feel like old friends, and a well-drawn villain can be the making of a great story. If you’re a young writer interested in trying your hand at a novel or a piece of short fiction, the art of creating characters is one of the most useful things you can study. In this class we'll begin by using selected passages from classic and contemporary fiction to illustrate ways to paint effective characters, major and minor, and to make them come alive in the mind of a reader. Then we’ll plumb the depths of our own shadow realms to learn about how to super-charge our stories with unforgettable heroes and villains. For writers age 13 - 18 ONLY.
By the end of this class you’ll have developed an in-depth understanding of what makes for memorable fictional heroes and villains, along with a tool-kit you can use to create characters for your own fiction projects.
Our NEW Class Format:
Based on student suggestions and to offer writers a sustainable learning experience, this summer’s YAWP weeklongs provide a balance of craft sessions and exercises with plenty of optional components so that teens can take screen breaks as needed.
Each morning session will feature a craft talk or group exercise with your designated instructor. On Monday and Wednesday afternoons, you’ll have optional and lowkey meetings that could consist of:
- Q&A chat with your writing instructor
- Group writing with music
- Reading party
- Movie viewing followed by a chat about craft
- Writing games
- Open mic/sharing
Students are encouraged to self-advocate, opting out if they are fatigued or diving in if they want more creative activity. Either way, instructors will always be available to answer questions via email and/or Zoom chat!
- If the student is under 18, parents/guardians must complete this permission form online. You only need to fill this form out ONE TIME, NOT for every class. If you cannot remember whether you have already filled it out, please email [email protected] and we will check for you! If you do not complete this form, your registrations could be voided and the cancellation policy will apply.
- If the student is 18, simply let us know by emailing [email protected]
- If you are registering on behalf of a student, add their email in the “For a Friend or Child?” field on the right-hand side of the screen at check out. This will send them a direct link and reminder to create their own profile with GrubStreet.
***If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at [email protected] We’re looking forward to writing with you this summer!***
Previous Students Say
- Super Well-Organized
- Inspired Me to Write More
- Supportive Environment
- Craft Lessons
- Class Discussion
- The Novel
- Short Fiction
- Young Adult & Children's Literature