A collection of the first 10 years of Grubbies' published work.
Want to see the many successes Grub Street writers? The Hacks anthology features published excerpts from just some of the many novelists, poets, non-fiction writers, screenwriters, and short story writers whose craft has developed within the warmth of Grub. A great way to see what Grubbies have been up to!
"I've never heard of any of these people." — Person on the street
"Wow! So many of my favorite Boston writers all in one volume!" — Person on Grub Street
"Being a hack has a certain honor to it." — Charles Baxter
"Grub Street is a treasure." — Ethan Canin
A few featured stories
- Allison Adair, "Making Way," from The Boston Globe, June 2005
- Steve Almond, "Summer, As in Love," from The Evil B.B. Chow and Other Stories (Algonquin, 2005)
- Jenna Blum, from Those Who Save Us (Harcourt, 2004)
- Margaret Holmes, "Riding With the Top Down," from The New Orleans Review (December 2006)
- Daphne Kalotay, "Seeing," from The Missouri Review, (24:1, 2001)
- Ellen Litman, from The Last Chicken in America (W.W. Norton, 2007)
- Ron MacLean, "Las Vegas Wedding," from Night Train, 2001
- Jill McDonough, "May 9, 1947: Willie Francis," from The Threepenny Review, Summer 2004
- Jon Papernick, from The Ascent of Eli Israel (Arcade, 2002)
- Rebecca Tuch, "Stop Saying My Name," from The Briar Cliff Review, 2006
- Rishi Reddi, from Karma and Other Stories (ecco/HarperCollins, 2007)
- Kathleen Rooney, "Live Nude Girl," from Twentysomething Essays by Twentysomething Writers (Random House, 2006)
How to Buy a Copy
Hacks isn't generally available in book stores. To order your copy, call Grub Street at 617.695.0075. If you're in the Boston area, just stop by!