The Launch Lab
Introducing Your Book | Directing Your Career
In 2012, Launch Lab hit the ground running. A highly competitive application process enabled us to build an exceptional collective of authors who discovered and took control of their marketing skills, leading to tangible successes. Called “relentlessly practical and totally motivating,” Launch Lab helped writers get the information and support they needed to become meaningful advocates for their work. The first of its kind, the Launch Lab has attracted national attention and promises to become a game-changer. Read more about what our 2012 pilot authors and our current 2013 participants have to say.
These days, authors--no matter how they are published--are frequently on their own when it comes to marketing and promoting their books. Traditional publishers now expect their authors to be active partners in the marketing process, cultivating their audience with all the new tools available to them via social media and innovative marketing. Self-published authors often find themselves lost in the desert with no expert guidance. In the midst of all these changes and this unavoidable reality, Grub Street seeks to build community and share expertise around these crucial new responsibilities.
Currently, authors with deep pockets can hire consultants and public relations experts to support them, but the results are mixed at best. Do-It-Yourself sites and webinars also exist, but the content tends to be paint-by-number and too general to make much of an impact. Moreover, most authors find this work daunting, joyless, and uncreative.
The Launch Lab is a pioneering program that equips writers with the knowledge and tools they need to be effective in their efforts while also facilitating friendships and community so that they remain inspired, connected, and engaged in the process.
Grub Street will bring together 16 serious writers of fiction and nonfiction to participate in the Fall 2013 offering. Applicants must have books coming out within a year. The deadline to apply is 5pm on August 30th; the reading period runs from August 1st - August 30th, and we welcome early applications.
When you participate in The Launch Lab, you will:
- Be guided by PR and social media experts and by published authors
- Receive on-going personalized coaching to achieve your campaign goals
- Gain access to a motivated community of authors who will pool information and resources to help you individualize your marketing plan
- Participate in a day of media training in preparation for television appearances, readings and/or live radio interviews
- Dissect your book and find the most effective angles for pitching media
- Figure out how to connect with appropriate reading communities, especially online
- Discover how to leverage Amazon and utilize industry analytics
- Understand how to evaluate “paid-for” services
- Have the opportunity to do readings with other Launch Labbers, most notably at the Harvard Bookstore in Cambridge, MA
- Hear from published authors who have learned key lessons from their own launch experiences
- Be introduced to the “Logic Model” --a strategic way to think about your book and your career
See more information about our program details
, submission guidelines
, and current participants
. Also, be sure to check out the monthly blog posts by one of the project leads, Katrin Schumann, on the Grub Daily
Dates of Course:
October 4th-5th, November 1st-2nd, and December 7th.
If you have specific questions about the Launch Lab program, email Eve Bridburg at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call the office at 617.695.0075.