Thank you for visiting https://grubstreet.org (“Site”), which is owned and operated by GrubStreet Inc. (“we” “our” or “us”). This privacy statement (“Privacy Statement”) describes our information collection, use, and sharing practices as well as the choices you have regarding our use and sharing of your information. As used in this Privacy Statement, the word “including” means including, without limitation. By using our Site, you acknowledge that you have read and agree to the terms of this Privacy Statement. If you do not agree to the terms of this Privacy Statement, please do not access or use our Site or provide us (online or offline) with any of your personal information.
1. INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We and service providers acting on our behalf may collect information from a variety of sources and in a variety of ways, including the following:
- Contact and Other Personal Information. When you visit our Site, create a user profile, join our mailing list, register for a class or conference, make a donation, send us an email, or otherwise communicate with us, we may collect contact and other personal information that you voluntarily provide to us. Personal information is information through which you can be identified including your name, email address, postal mailing address, and telephone number.
- Demographic Information. When you register for a class or event, make a donation, or otherwise communicate with us, we may collect demographic information such as your gender, race, ethnicity, marital status, geographic location, occupation, and income level.
- Payment Information. When you make a purchase, a donation, or engage in other financial transactions with us, we (or service providers acting on our behalf) may collect payment information such as your credit or debit card number to process your payment.
- Device and Browser Information. We may use (or authorize third parties to use) cookies, pixel tags, and other technologies (collectively, “Tracking Technologies”) on our Site to collect information about you, your online behavior, your computer, and your mobile device. We use Tracking Technologies for several reasons including to keep our Site reliable and secure, personalize content, provide social media features, analyze how our Site is used, assist with our marketing efforts, and improve your experience on our Site. Information collected through Tracking Technologies may include the type of browser and operating system you are using, the domain name of your Internet service provider, your geographic location, the pages you visit, how long you visit each page, and the unique number assigned to your server or Internet connection. This information is stored in log files. We (or authorized third parties) may also collect cookies and other data obtained through Tracking Technologies from third parties for targeted advertising purposes. At this time, our Site does not recognize automated browser signals regarding tracking mechanisms, which may include “do not track” instructions. Although most browsers are initially set to accept cookies and other Tracking Technologies, you can change some of your privacy preferences through your browser. For example, you can delete browser cookies from your computer or set your browser to reject browser cookies. However, doing so may limit some functionalities of our Site. Also, blocking or deleting browser cookies may not block or delete other types of cookies including Adobe Flash cookies. To manage Flash cookies, please visit the Flash Player Help Page. For additional information about browser privacy preferences, please consult the “Help” section of your browser.
- Wi-Fi Information. When you use Wi-Fi services that we may make available to you at our offices or other locations, we may have access to or collect (directly or through third parties) information about the websites you visit, the type of device and browser you are using, your device identification number, your precise physical location, bandwidth used, session time, etc.
- Other Information. We may obtain publicly available data or information available from third party sources to supplement or ensure the accuracy of information we have collected about you. In addition, we may link your personal information with non-personal information collected from other sources or through Tracking Technologies.
2. INFORMATION COLLECTED BY THIRD PARTIES
- Third Party Content. Some content on our Site may be hosted by, sponsored by, or co-branded with third parties who may obtain personal information from you if you voluntarily submit such information or participate in hosted, sponsored, or co-branded activities. When you provide your personal information to such third parties, their privacy statement will detail how you may exercise choice regarding use of your personal information and further sharing. We are not responsible for the information collection or privacy practices of such third parties. Thus, you should review their privacy practices carefully before participating or providing personal information to such third parties.
- Interest-Based Advertising. Third parties may use Tracking Technologies to collect information about you and your activities at our Site including the links you click and the categories of search terms you enter. These third parties may use the information collected at our Site and other websites for a variety of purposes including analytics and providing advertisements about goods and services that may be of interest to you. The use of Tracking Technologies by third parties at our Site is subject to their own privacy statements, not our Privacy Statement. If you would like more information about your choices concerning interest-based advertising, including how you may opt-out of some uses of information collected by members of the Digital Advertising Alliance, see the “How to Opt-Out” section below. We use Google Analytics to analyze usage of our Site. You can review how Google uses this information and how you can control information collected by Google Analytics here.
3. USE OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We (or service providers acting on our behalf) may use the information we collect for the following purposes:
- Responding to Inquiries. If you inquire about something (for example, a conference, workshop, class, etc.) we may use your personal information to respond to your inquiry.
- Fundraising. Your personal information may be used for our fundraising purposes including contacting you about a requested donation, subject to your right to opt-out of such communications at any time (see “How to Opt-Out” section below).
- Marketing. Your personal information may be used for our direct marketing purposes including notifying you of upcoming conferences, classes, workshops, webinars, and other events, subject to your right to opt-out of such communications at any time (see “How to Opt-Out” section below).
- Interest-Based Advertising. Information collected about you through Tracking Technologies may be used for targeted advertising purposes. This may include using third party service providers to display tailored advertisements to you at other websites. If you wish to opt-out of the use of your information for targeted advertising purposes, see the “How to Opt-Out” section below.
- Non-Marketing Purposes. Your information may be used for non-marketing purposes including (1) validating your identity; (2) conducting surveys or market research, (3) conducting statistical or demographic analysis; (4) processing and tracking donations, purchases, or other transactions; (5) complying with legal and regulatory requirements; (6) customizing your experience at our Site; (7) protecting and defending against legal actions or claims; (6) preventing fraud; (8) debt collection; (9) satisfying contractual obligations; and (10) safety and security purposes including cooperating with law enforcement or other government agencies for purposes of national security, public safety, or matters of public importance when we believe that disclosure of information is necessary or appropriate to protect the public interest.
4. SHARING OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We may share the information we collect for the following purposes:
- Instructors and Volunteers. We may share your personal information with our instructors and volunteers who assist with classes, conferences, webinars, and other events on the condition that they not use or disclose your information for any purposes other than providing instructional or volunteer services.
- Public Disclosures and Disclosures to Third Parties. We may share anonymized demographic information (i.e., demographic information that is presented in a manner that preserves your identity and the identities of other individuals) publicly and/or with third parties including, for example, conference or event sponsors.
- Service Providers. Service providers may be engaged to provide certain services on our behalf including conducting surveys, research or analytics, processing payment transactions, Site hosting and maintenance, marketing, auditing, demographic analyses, and fulfillment. Service providers may collect your information on our behalf or be provided with access to your information as reasonably necessary to perform such services on the condition that they not use or disclose your information for other purposes.
- Mergers and Other Business Transactions. We may share or transfer any information we collect, including your personal information, if we enter into a business transaction such as a merger, acquisition, reorganization, bankruptcy, or sale of some or all of our assets, or in preparation for any of these events. Any party that acquires our assets as part of such a transaction may continue to use your information in accordance with the terms of this Privacy Statement.
- Legal and Other Requirements. We may disclose your information, including your personal information, to courts, law enforcement agencies, governmental authorities, and others for non-marketing purposes when we believe in good faith that such disclosure is necessary to comply with our legal obligations, protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, enforce or administer our terms of service or contractual obligations, or respond to a government request. We may cooperate with law enforcement or other government agencies for purposes of national security, public safety, or matters of public importance when we believe that disclosure of information under our control is necessary or appropriate to protect the public interest.
5. HOW TO OPT OUT
- Fundraising and Direct Marketing. If you do not want your personal information to be used for our fundraising or direct marketing purposes, you can opt-out of such use at any time by emailing your request to us at [email protected] with the words “OPT-OUT” in the subject line of the email. In the body of your email, please tell us if you wish to opt-out of fundraising communications from us, direct marketing communications from us, or both fundraising communications and direct marketing communications. You also can click on the unsubscribe link included at the bottom of our fundraising or marketing emails to stop receiving such emails from us in the future. Please note that if you opt-out, we (or service providers acting on our behalf) may still use and share your information with others for non-marketing purposes such as fulfilling your requests, processing donations, and responding to inquiries.
- Interest-Based Advertising. If you do not want information collected through Tracking Technologies to be used for interest-based advertising, you can obtain information about your choices and opt-out of some uses of such information collected by members of the Digital Advertising Alliance by clicking About Ads Consumer Choice Tool. For further information about the Digital Advertising Alliance, please visit the Digital Advertising Alliance Home Page. You can review how Google uses information collected through Tracking Technologies and how you can control information collected by Google Analytics here.
- Do-Not-Track Options. At this time, our Site does not recognize automated browser signals regarding tracking mechanisms, which may include “do not track” instructions.
6. ACCESS AND CONTROL OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You may access, review, update, correct inaccuracies, and request deletion of your personal information which is in our custody and control by emailing us at [email protected] with the words “MY PERSONAL INFORMATION” in the subject line of the email. In the body of your email, please include your full name, postal address, email address, telephone number and specify what information you would like to access, review, update, correct, or delete. We may request certain additional personal information from you for the purposes of verifying your identity. We will endeavor to respond to your request within 30 days. Please note that due to contractual, legal, or other requirements, it may not be possible to delete some or all of your information.
7. INFORMATION RETENTION AND SECURITY
We will retain your information, including personal information, for as long as necessary to provide any services you request, comply with our legal obligations, and satisfy other legitimate business requirements including tax, legal, reporting, and auditing obligations. We have implemented administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to help prevent unauthorized access, use, or disclosure of personal information in our custody or control. However, no data storage or transmission system is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee that our safeguards will prevent the unauthorized access, use or disclosure of your personal information. If you have reason to believe that personal information within our custody and control has been compromised, please contact us at [email protected].
8. VISITORS OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES
We are based in the United States and our Site is hosted and managed in the United States. Our Site is intended for use by persons located in the United States. Any information that you provide to us, including personal information, may be transferred to and processed in the United States. If you reside outside of the United States, please be advised that the United States does not offer safeguards to protect personal information that are as stringent as some other jurisdictions in the world, including the European Union. Some countries require a lawful basis to transfer and process personal information. To the extent the laws of other countries apply, we rely on several lawful bases to transfer and process personal information including (a) your consent, (b) the need to perform a contract, (c) compliance with legal obligations, and (d) other legitimate interests. In situations where we rely on consent to process your personal information, you have the right to withdraw your consent.
9. CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
The California “Shine the Light” law requires certain businesses to respond to requests from California residents concerning the disclosure of their personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. Alternatively, such businesses may adopt a policy of not disclosing personal information to third parties for direct marketing purposes if a California resident has opted-out of such information sharing. We have adopted an opt-out policy. The California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”) grants new privacy rights to California residents. As a non-profit organization, we are not subject to the CCPA. However, we do offer you the right to access, review, update, and request deletion of your personal information in accordance with Section 6 above.
10. PERSONS UNDER AGE 13
We do not knowingly collect personal information from persons under 13 years of age. If you are the parent or guardian of a person under 13 and believe that the person has provided us with their personal information, you may contact us at [email protected] and request that it be deleted.
11. REVISIONS TO THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT
We may revise this Privacy Statement from time-to-time in our sole discretion. By using our Site or providing us with your personal information after any revisions, you agree to be bound by the terms of the revised Privacy Statement. If we intend to make material revisions to this Privacy Statement, we will post a notice of those revisions on our Site in advance of the effective date of the revisions. In our discretion, we may also notify you of material revisions by email or other means.
12. HOW TO CONTACT US
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this Privacy Statement, you may email us at [email protected] or contact us by postal mail or telephone. We will endeavor to answer your questions and address any concerns in a timely manner.
Effective: August 16, 2022
50 Liberty Drive
Boston, MA 02210