Light Up the Center
Join GrubStreet in celebrating the written word, collaboration, and working for equity across the arts in Boston!
About this event:
Join GrubStreet's Light Up the Center, our yearly community appreciation event, to celebrate our expansive writing community with exciting, multidisciplinary performances by GrubStreet instructors and students, as well as acclaimed Boston-based dancers and musicians.
Continuing GrubStreet's commitment to facilitating dialogue to encourage equity and justice, we're hosting a very special Light Up the Center: for the first time at GrubStreet, we're inviting artists from other groups and disciplines to light up the center together.
A first ever event of its kind on GrubStreet's Calderwood Writers' Stage, you can join us to enjoy:
- City of Boston's Poet Laureate & GrubStreet instructor Porsha Olayiwola
- Cuatro virtuosa & composer Fabiola Mendez
- GrubStreet Teen Fellow Zaila Alves
- Write Down the Street neighborhood program alum Fiona Maurissette
- An audience and performer conversation
- A lively reception with food and drink
Every ticket donation of any amount is greatly appreciated. Your “pay what you will” ticket donation will help GrubStreet:
- Increase financial aid for teens and adults over the next year, so that we we can provide up to 500 scholarships for writers of all ages
- Expand new programs that take on critical issues like our "Writing for Change" series from the stage, and our new annual workshop and publication series on timely issues, from “Our Bodies, Our Stories” to the upcoming “Our Planet, Our Stories”
- Continue intensive fellowships for writing and teaching, including our Emerging Writer Fellowships and our Teaching Fellowships for Black Writers
We hope you'll join us for an unforgettable evening of performances and conversation as we work together towards equity across the Arts. Thank you so much for supporting GrubStreet and this event.
When and where:
- Thursday, November 2 · 7 - 9:30pm EDT
- GrubStreet's Center for Creative Writing, located at 50 Liberty Drive #Suite 500 Boston, MA 02210
Make sure to register early, as space is limited. Already have a ticket? Share this page with a friend and help spread the word about Light Up the Center.
If you’re interested in joining us as a host or sponsor to make this event affordable for all, please contact us at [email protected].
Thank you to this year's generous host committee:
Jayne & Harvey Beker
Jeanne & John Blasberg
Sharon Bridburg & Robert Redwine
Sharissa Jones & Daniel Medwed
Sondra & Norman Levenson
Marc Skvirsky & Mary Keber
Kathy & Patrick Sherbrooke
Sandra & Bob Taylor
Enrique & Ellen Zuniga