Teen Summer: Writing the Dream, Vision, or Hallucination
***This class will be hosted remotely! You'll receive an email from your instructor about 15 minutes before your class is scheduled to begin with a Zoom link. There is no need to download or sign up for Zoom in advance!***
Are you fascinated by dreams, hallucinations, and other mysterious and wild workings of the human psyche? Do you want to experiment with writing that pushes boundaries, and breaks out of the same old rational modes of thinking? Stories that explore the subconscious often need to break rules. And sometimes, breaking the rules of writing can be an act of protest against oppressive forms of thinking. In this workshop and generative writing class, we’ll embrace uncertainty, experimenting with dream logic, visions, and other renderings of the subconscious in our writing. We’ll read stories by writers like Jamaica Kincaid and Clarice Lispector and try out their methods of writing in our work. And because this kind of writing requires deep inquiry into the way our minds function, we’ll also work with automatic writing prompts, ekphrasis, meditation, and other activities meant to help us unlock our creative unconscious. We’ll experiment with all genres of writing and get peer feedback on drafts we generate from in-class prompts. For writers age 13 - 18 ONLY.
Students will leave with invigorating new work, tools to shake up their writing style, and a new understanding of how to bring the weirdest parts of their minds to the page.
Online Class Format--Sustainability and Community:
Based on student suggestions and to offer writers a sustainable learning experience, this YAWP weeklong provides a balance of craft sessions and exercises with plenty of optional components so that teens can take screen breaks as needed.
Each morning session will feature a craft talk or group exercise with your designated instructor, and in the afternoon you’ll have optional and lowkey meetings that could consist of:
- Q&A chat with your writing instructor
- Group writing with music
- Reading party
- Movie viewing followed by a chat about craft
- Writing games
- Open mic/sharing
Students are encouraged to self-advocate, opting out if they are fatigued or diving in if they want more creative activity. Either way, instructors will always be available to answer questions via email and/or Zoom chat!
- If the student is under 18, parents/guardians must complete this permission form online. You only need to fill this form out ONE TIME, NOT for every class. If you cannot remember whether you have already filled it out, please email [email protected] and we will check for you! If you do not complete this form, your registrations could be voided and the cancellation policy will apply.
- If the student is 18, simply let us know by emailing [email protected].
- If you are registering on behalf of a student, add their email in the “For a Friend or Child?” field on the right-hand side of the screen at check out. This will send them a direct link and reminder to create their own profile with GrubStreet.
- Please register with your preferred name :)
***If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at [email protected]. We’re looking forward to writing with you this summer!***
Previous Students Say
- You'll Be Inundated with Great Info
- Lots of Practical Tips
- Supportive Environment
- Get Feedback
- Short Fiction