Teen Summer: July Week of Creative Writing (A)
***This class will be hosted remotely! You'll receive an email from your instructor about 15 minutes before your class is scheduled to begin with a Zoom link. There is no need to download or sign up for Zoom in advance!***
How do you write scenes you can touch and taste? What would you say if you could talk to your protagonist? How can you twist and tease language so that sounds become tools?
This class welcomes writers of every genre and skill set: from short story writers and essayists, to the active reader who daydreams in plot and imagery. We come together to hone our skills and explore. Each day will be filled with writing and reading exercises designed to get you thinking and creating. How do you engage all of the senses in your writing? How can you play with the sound and word choice to make your language sing? What can you learn from the process of building a character? Come ready to experiment, play, and make something new! For writers age 13 - 18 ONLY.
Students will leave class with a toolbox full of ideas, beginnings, and some drafts to keep their work moving forward.
Online Class Format--Sustainability and Community:
Based on student suggestions and to offer writers a sustainable learning experience, this YAWP weeklong provides a balance of craft sessions and exercises with plenty of optional components so that teens can take screen breaks as needed.
Each morning session will feature a craft talk or group exercise with your designated instructor, and in the afternoon you’ll have optional and lowkey meetings that could consist of:
- Q&A chat with your writing instructor
- Group writing with music
- Reading party
- Movie viewing followed by a chat about craft
- Writing games
- Open mic/sharing
Students are encouraged to self-advocate, opting out if they are fatigued or diving in if they want more creative activity. Either way, instructors will always be available to answer questions via email and/or Zoom chat!
- If the student is under 18, parents/guardians must complete this permission form online. You only need to fill this form out ONE TIME, NOT for every class. If you cannot remember whether you have already filled it out, please email [email protected] and we will check for you! If you do not complete this form, your registrations could be voided and the cancellation policy will apply.
- If the student is 18, simply let us know by emailing [email protected].
- If you are registering on behalf of a student, add their email in the “For a Friend or Child?” field on the right-hand side of the screen at check out. This will send them a direct link and reminder to create their own profile with GrubStreet.
- Please register with your preferred name :)
***If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at [email protected]. We’re looking forward to writing with you this summer!***
Previous Students Say
- You'll Be Inundated with Great Info
- Lots of Practical Tips
- Supportive Environment
- Get Feedback
- Short Fiction