Teen Summer: Activist Writing
***This class will be hosted remotely! You'll receive an email from your instructor about 15 minutes before your class is scheduled to begin with a Zoom link. There is no need to download or sign up for Zoom in advance!***
If you’re a young writer tired of watching the world go to sh*t, join us during this weeklong exploration of activist writing. Age is irrelevant when it comes to expressing how we can improve our world. We will traverse genre, making our voices heard through poetry, prose, and op-eds. We will also discuss how and where to submit our work once it’s ready. Whether you want to write about the environment, poverty, education, equality, or other issues on the local, national, or global level, learn how to shape your ideas effectively and get your work out there. Spend a few days with other socially conscious writers, learning how to use the power of the pen (or keyboard). For writers age 13 - 18 ONLY.
By the end of the class, you’ll have a deeper understanding of activism; practice articulating your passion in different forms; 3+ drafts of activist writing; and tip sheets on how and where you can submit your work when you’re ready.
Online Class Format--Sustainability and Community:
Based on student suggestions and to offer writers a sustainable learning experience, this YAWP weeklong provides a balance of craft sessions and exercises with plenty of optional components so that teens can take screen breaks as needed.
Each morning session will feature a craft talk or group exercise with your designated instructor, and in the afternoon you’ll have optional and lowkey meetings that could consist of:
- Q&A chat with your writing instructor
- Group writing with music
- Reading party
- Movie viewing followed by a chat about craft
- Writing games
- Open mic/sharing
Students are encouraged to self-advocate, opting out if they are fatigued or diving in if they want more creative activity. Either way, instructors will always be available to answer questions via email and/or Zoom chat!
- If the student is under 18, parents/guardians must complete this permission form online. You only need to fill this form out ONE TIME, NOT for every class. If you cannot remember whether you have already filled it out, please email [email protected] and we will check for you! If you do not complete this form, your registrations could be voided and the cancellation policy will apply.
- If the student is 18, simply let us know by emailing [email protected]
- If you are registering on behalf of a student, add their email in the “For a Friend or Child?” field on the right-hand side of the screen at check out. This will send them a direct link and reminder to create their own profile with GrubStreet.
- Please register with your preferred name :)
***If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at [email protected] We’re looking forward to writing with you this summer!***
Previous Students Say
- You'll Be Inundated with Great Info
- Lots of Practical Tips
- Supportive Environment
- Get Feedback
- Short Fiction
- Literary Journalism