Creative Writing in a Chaotic World – For Teens!
***This class will be hosted remotely! You'll receive an email from your instructor with a Zoom link about 15 minutes before your class is scheduled to begin. There is no need to download or sign up for Zoom in advance!***
Real talk: it’s been a tough two years. For some of us, the state of the world has blocked our natural stream of creativity. If your writing practice has collected a little dust, you’re not alone; let's brush it off together! In this week-long class, get back to your passion through low-key exercises and light-hearted connection with your fellow writers. We’ll dabble across genres — even drawing inspiration from other mediums such as TV shows and music — and revitalize our craft.
Every morning students will have class from 10:30AM-1:30PM.
Each afternoon will feature an optional session from 2:15PM-3:30PM that will include one of the following remote activities:
- Silent group writing with music and available Q&A chat with the writing instructor
- Book club silent reading party and optional chat
- Guest instructor session on varying topics
- Group movie viewing followed by a class Q&A about craft techniques reflected in the movie
- Virtual field trips to museums and other virtual venues.
- Online writing games)
- Open Mic/sharing
We want to nurture your creativity while acknowledging how our chaotic world uniquely affects students. We believe that some of the best ideas find us during breaks, so we encourage you to see your rest as part of your dynamic creative process.
This class is open to beginner and more experienced teen writers working in any genre, ages 13-18 only. Whatever style of writing you want to try or expand, bring your ideas, questions, and drafts, and create something fun in the company of other word lovers.
Plenty of scholarships are available, so please apply!
- If the student is under 18, parents/guardians must complete this permission form online. You only need to fill this form out ONE TIME, NOT for every class. If you cannot remember whether you have already filled it out, please email [email protected] and we will check for you! If you do not complete this form, your registrations could be voided and the cancellation policy will apply.
- If the student is 18, simply let us know by emailing [email protected]
- If you are registering on behalf of a student, add their email in the “For a Friend or Child?” field on the right-hand side of the screen at check out. This will send them a direct link and reminder to create their own profile with GrubStreet.
- The Novel
- Short Fiction
- Young Adult & Children's Literature