The Memoir Series: Where to Begin
One of the hardest aspects of writing a memoir is knowing where your story begins. Some memoirs begin with the meeting of the writers' parents, others begin at the end of the story, and others begin with a central question posed by a traumatic event. In this seminar we will look at how a variety of memoirists answer the question, Where to begin? and explore why these beginnings work. We'll also do a series of in-class exercises to help us locate where our stories can start.
Part of GrubStreet's Memoir Series, dedicated to the craft and process of memoir writing. Classes include:
- The Memoir Series: Where to Begin
- The Memoir Series: Seeing Yourself as a Character
- The Memoir Series: Writing the Family
- The Memoir Series: Memory vs. Truth
- The Memoir Series: Details! Details! Details!
- The Memoir Series: The Power of Place
To learn more about instructor Alysia Abbott and her teaching style, check out the short podcast with her in our GrubStreet Instructor Interview series:
Previous Students Say
- "Supportive Environment"
- "Inundated with Great Info"
- In-Class Writing
- Instructor Feedback
- Reading Homework
- Writing Homework
- Book-Length Memoir
- Personal Essay