The Final Drafts: Revising Your Short Fiction (ONLINE)
You’ve written a draft of one or more stories. Now what? In this online course, you’ll learn techniques for polishing your stories. In particular, we’ll work in service of your story’s intention to locate its strengths and weaknesses, and create a plan for taking your draft to a place of completion. Emphasizing revision, this class will focus on a different craft topic each week-long session, including opening/ closing pages, character development, plot and structure, point of view, style, and sentence-level execution. Specifically, you’ll receive:
- A weekly craft lesson focusing on an aspect of fiction
- A weekly exercise to sharpen your revision skills
- Group workshopping of fiction written by you and your classmates
- Individualized critique of your fiction by the instructor
- Discussion of published stories and craft essays by authors such as Lesley Nneka Arimah, Sherman Alexie, Ha Jin, Jhumpa Lahiri, George Saunders, and Jennine Capó Crucet
By the end of this course, you’ll come away with tools for revising future short work, as well as a concrete plan for revising your current story draft. Although you will be asked to finish coursework for each week-long session by Tuesday evening, there will be no time-specific online meetings or webinars to attend.
Previous Students Say
- "Diverse Reading Assignments"
- "Inundated with Great Info"
- "Great In-Class Feedback"
- Get Feedback
- Craft Lessons
- Instructor Feedback
- Revision Assignments
- Class Discussion
- Reading Homework
- Writing Homework
- Short Fiction