TEEN Summer: Fanfiction to Fan-worthy Fiction (REMOTE)
***This class will be hosted remotely! You'll receive an email from your instructor about 15 minutes before your class is scheduled to begin with a Zoom link. There is no need to download or sign up for Zoom in advance!***
Fanfic writers and lovers of fandom: come join in on a new adventure! As fanfic writers, we take the worlds others have invented and build in our own imaginative plots. We obsess over the characters we love, giving them new experiences, shipping their relationships, at times filling in the gaps in their stories. We enter an exciting, passionate writing community and exchange regular feedback. In this class, we’ll talk about the very real writing tools we gain through writing fanfiction and start to apply those tools to our own original fiction. How do we create the characters we can obsess over? How do we start to build our own unique worlds? How does the pacing of fanfiction translate to the scenes and beats of a novel? Together we’ll start to invent new stories that can catch our imaginations just like the fandoms we love! For writers age 13 - 18 ONLY.
You’ll leave class with new scenes set in original worlds, tools to develop your fiction, and plenty of ideas for stories and characters. Also, you’ll meet other brilliant teen writers who can become part of your online fanfic community!
Our NEW Class Format:
Based on student suggestions and to offer writers a sustainable learning experience, this summer’s YAWP weeklongs provide a balance of craft sessions and exercises with plenty of optional components so that teens can take screen breaks as needed.
Each morning session will feature a craft talk or group exercise with your designated instructor. On Monday and Wednesday afternoons, you’ll have optional and lowkey meetings that could consist of:
- Q&A chat with your writing instructor
- Group writing with music
- Reading party
- Movie viewing followed by a chat about craft
- Writing games
- Open mic/sharing
Students are encouraged to self-advocate, opting out if they are fatigued or diving in if they want more creative activity. Either way, instructors will always be available to answer questions via email and/or Zoom chat!
- If the student is under 18, parents/guardians must complete this permission form online. You only need to fill this form out ONE TIME, NOT for every class. If you cannot remember whether you have already filled it out, please email [email protected] and we will check for you! If you do not complete this form, your registrations could be voided and the cancellation policy will apply.
- If the student is 18, simply let us know by emailing [email protected]
- If you are registering on behalf of a student, add their email in the “For a Friend or Child?” field on the right-hand side of the screen at check out. This will send them a direct link and reminder to create their own profile with GrubStreet.
***If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at [email protected] We’re looking forward to writing with you this summer!***
Previous Students Say
- Great for Newbies
- Inspired Me to Write More
- Supportive Environment
- Get Feedback
- In-Class Writing
- Instructor Feedback
- Class Discussion
- The Novel
- Short Fiction
- Young Adult & Children's Literature