TEEN Summer: A Week of Poetry (Immersive) (REMOTE)
***This class will be hosted remotely! You'll receive an email from your instructor about 15 minutes before your class is scheduled to begin with a Zoom link. There is no need to download or sign up for Zoom in advance!***
A poem can be anything you want it to be: a spell, a declaration, a witness, a call for action. By focusing on your five senses, you will learn how to identify purpose in your poems and mold them into something tangible. We will examine poetry of all styles, ranging from those that sing rhythmic serenades to those that are so powerful, they leap off the page. In this examination, we will discover the magic of poetic language, how it calls forth power, emotion and the possibility of change. From traditional form to spoken word and experimental poetry, you will begin to hone in your skills as a writer and learn innovative ways to bring your poetry to life. For writers age 13 - 18 ONLY.
By the end of the week, students will have drafted at least three different poems. Students will also leave this class with a toolbox full of various poetic techniques. This is a workshop that thrives on creativity, and is open to writers of all levels and genre experience. Be ready to try out news approaches and think outside the box!
Our NEW Class Format:
Based on student suggestions and to offer writers a sustainable learning experience, this summer’s YAWP weeklongs provide a balance of craft sessions and exercises with plenty of optional components so that teens can take screen breaks as needed.
Each morning session will feature a craft talk or group exercise with your designated instructor. On Monday and Wednesday afternoons, you’ll have optional and lowkey meetings that could consist of:
- Q&A chat with your writing instructor
- Group writing with music
- Reading party
- Movie viewing followed by a chat about craft
- Writing games
- Open mic/sharing
Students are encouraged to self-advocate, opting out if they are fatigued or diving in if they want more creative activity. Either way, instructors will always be available to answer questions via email and/or Zoom chat!
- If the student is under 18, parents/guardians must complete this permission form online. You only need to fill this form out ONE TIME, NOT for every class. If you cannot remember whether you have already filled it out, please email [email protected] and we will check for you! If you do not complete this form, your registrations could be voided and the cancellation policy will apply.
- If the student is 18, simply let us know by emailing [email protected]
- If you are registering on behalf of a student, add their email in the “For a Friend or Child?” field on the right-hand side of the screen at check out. This will send them a direct link and reminder to create their own profile with GrubStreet.
***If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at [email protected] We’re looking forward to writing with you this summer!***
Previous Students Say
- You'll Be Inundated with Great Info
- Diverse Reading Assignments
- Inspired Me to Write More
- Supportive Environment
- Generate New Work
- Get Feedback
- Craft Lessons