Intro to Poetry: Online
Do you want to try writing poetry? Do you need to refresh your understanding of the fundamentals of the genre? If you have an unpredictable schedule, travel often, or live outside the Boston area, this online course is the perfect fit for your modern lifestyle. “Introduction to Poetry” will teach you a slew of essential poetry techniques all from the comfort of your own desk--at any time that’s convenient for you! This class will focus on a different craft topic and/ or poetic form each week-long session, and will familiarize students with contemporary, as well as canonized, poets. Specifically, you’ll receive:
- A weekly craft talk focusing on an aspect of writing poetry
- A weekly exercise to sharpen your skills
- Group workshopping of poetry written by you and your classmates
- Individualized critique of your poetry by the instructor
- Discussion of published poems and craft essays by authors such as Joy Harjo, Danez Smith, Suheir Hammad, Luis Rodriguez, Carolyn Forche, Gwendolyn Brooks, Lucille Clifton and Ocean Vuong
By the end, you’ll not only be versed in the fundamentals, but you’ll walk away with six new poems, as well as invaluable feedback for revision.
*NOTE that while our handy dandy "Schedule" tab states a 6-7pm class time, there are actually no live meetings for this class! Weekly lessons and assignments open each Wednesday. Students will receive an invitation to Wet Ink, our online class platform, before 5pm on the first day of class.
Thanks to the excellent literary citizenship of our donors, scholarships are available for all GrubStreet classes. To apply, click the gray "APPLY FOR SCHOLARSHIP" button. In order to be considered for a scholarship, you must complete your application at least one week before the start date of a class. Please await our scholarship committee's decision before registering for the class. We cannot hold spots in classes, so the sooner you apply, the better. Scholarships cannot be applied retroactively.
For more more detailed information about GrubStreet scholarships, including how to contribute to scholarship funds for other students, click here.
Previous Students Say
- "Inspired Me to Write More"
- "Diverse Reading Assignments"
- "Inundated with Great Info"
- "Great for Newbies"
- "Supportive Environment"
- Get Feedback
- Generate New Work
- Craft Lessons