Intro to Poetry
Have you wanted to try writing poetry? Do you need to refresh your understanding of the fundamentals of the genre? “This class will offer you an introduction to the world of poetry. Each session will focus on a different poetic approach and technique with the opportunity to participate in free-writes, share work, and read diverse contemporary poets. Specifically, you’ll engage in:
- Learning the fundamentals of poetry and various poetic approaches, forms and techniques for writing and revision.
- Weekly readings and discussions of poetry from various authors such as: Ntozake Shange, Sonia Sanchez, June Jordan, and more.
- In-class prompts that generate content and practice writing poetry
- Group workshopping of poetry written by you and your classmates
- Support with poetry revision through peer-editing and instructor feedback
Please Note: Class Does Not Meet on October 10th (Indigenous People's Day).
This class will take place using Zoom videoconferencing. About 15 minutes before your class is scheduled to begin, you'll receive an email from your instructor with a link to join the class meeting!
Thanks to the excellent literary citizenship of our donors, scholarships are available for all GrubStreet classes. To apply, click the gray "APPLY FOR SCHOLARSHIP" button. In order to be considered for a scholarship, you must complete your application at least one week before the start date of a class. Please await our scholarship committee's decision before registering for the class. We cannot hold spots in classes, so the sooner you apply, the better. Scholarships cannot be applied retroactively.
For more more detailed information about GrubStreet scholarships, including how to contribute to scholarship funds for other students, click here.
Previous Students Say
- "Supportive Environment"
- "Inspired Me to Write More"
- In-Class Writing
- Instructor Feedback
- Revision Assignments
- Reading Homework
- Writing Homework