Intro to Fiction: ONLINE CLASS
Attention authors of the 21st century! If you have an unpredictable schedule, travel often, or live outside the Boston area, this online course is the perfect fit for your modern lifestyle. “Introduction to Fiction” will teach you a slew of essential fiction techniques all from the comfort of your own desk--at any time that’s convenient for you! Although you will be asked to complete coursework for each week-long session by Tuesday evening, there will be no time-specific online meetings or webinars to attend. Emphasizing the short story form, this class will focus on a different craft topic each week-long session, including beginnings, character, plot, dialogue, point of view, and revision. Specifically, you’ll receive:
- A weekly craft talk focusing on an aspect of fiction
- A weekly exercise to sharpen your skills
- Group workshopping of fiction written by you and your classmates
- Individualized critique of your fiction by the instructor
- Discussion of published stories and craft essays by authors like Michael Cunningham, Lorrie Moore, Raymond Carver, Jhumpa Lahiri, John Gardner, and Jane Smiley
By the end, you’ll not only be versed in the fundamentals, but you’ll walk away with a completed story as well as invaluable feedback for revision.
Please know that students should expect to devote 4-5 hours/week to this class.
*Note that while our handy dandy "Schedule" tab states a 6-7pm class time, there are actually no live meetings for this class! Assignments will be given on a weekly basis. Students will have access to the online class portal starting at 5pm on the first day of class. Instructions for logging onto the online portal will be emailed to registered students before 5pm the first day of class.
Did you know that we have scholarships available for all GrubStreet classes? To find out more, check out our scholarships page. To apply for a scholarship, click the 'APPLY FOR SCHOLARSHIP' button above.
Previous Students Say
- "Inspired Me to Write More"
- "Diverse Reading Assignments"
- "Inundated with Great Info"
- "Great for Newbies"
- "Supportive Environment"
- Get Feedback
- Generate New Work
- Craft Lessons
- Short Fiction