TEEN Summer: July Week of Creative Writing [A] (REMOTE)
***This class will be hosted remotely! You'll receive an email from your instructor about 15 minutes before your class is scheduled to begin with a Zoom link. There is no need to download or sign up for Zoom in advance!***
How do you write scenes you can touch and taste? What would you say if you could talk to your protagonist? How can you twist and tease language so that sounds become tools?
Whether you are writing a novel, short stories, poetry, plays, or fanfiction, this is the class to develop your craft and experiment with new forms! By the end of the week, you'll have a toolbox full of new ideas, beginnings, and encouragements to keep your work moving forward!
This course is geared toward open-minded writers of all levels and in any genre. For students aged 13-18 ONLY!
Our NEW Class Format--Sustainability and Community:
Based on student suggestions and to offer writers a sustainable learning experience, this YAWP weeklong provides a balance of craft sessions and exercises with plenty of optional components so that teens can take screen breaks as needed. To offer young writers a chance to interact with a larger group of their peers and to expose them to a variety of genres, this YAWP weeklong will join with another class for cross-course gatherings.
Each morning session will feature a craft talk or group exercise with your designated instructor.
On Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday afternoons, students of Otto Vock's June Week of Creative Writing class will join students of Crystal Valentine's Making Poetry From Everyday Experiences to share their work, learn from each other’s craft, or create something new altogether!
On Monday and Wednesday afternoons, you’ll have optional and lowkey meetings that could consist of:
- Q&A chat with your writing instructor
- Group writing with music
- Reading party
- Movie viewing followed by a chat about craft
- Writing games
- Open mic/sharing
Students are encouraged to self-advocate, opting out if they are fatigued or diving in if they want more creative activity. Either way, instructors will always be available to answer questions via email and/or Zoom chat!
- If the student is under 18, parents/guardians must complete this permission form online. You only need to fill this form out ONE TIME, NOT for every class. If you cannot remember whether you have already filled it out, please email [email protected] and we will check for you! If you do not complete this form, your registrations could be voided and the cancellation policy will apply.
- If the student is 18, simply let us know by emailing [email protected]
- If you are registering on behalf of a student, add their email in the “For a Friend or Child?” field on the right-hand side of the screen at check out. This will send them a direct link and reminder to create their own profile with GrubStreet.
***If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at [email protected] We’re looking forward to writing with you this summer!***
Previous Students Say
- Great for Newbies
- Diverse Reading Assignments
- Inspired Me to Write More
- Generate New Work
- In-Class Writing Prompts
- Craft Lessons
- The Novel
- Short Fiction
- Personal Essay