The Official Grub Gift Guide for Writers!
Tired of buying bookstore and coffee shop gift certificates for the writer in your life? Check out these fun, quirky gift ideas for this holiday season and say nevermore to gift cards!
1. AquaNotes. Does your favorite writer tend to have their best ideas in the shower? Help them remember and record that plot twist or memoir chapter with this waterproof notepad and specially designed pencil. You’ll definitely get a note in the acknowledgements! (AquaNotes website, $7)
2. Old Books Scented Candle. Help make their writing space a bibliophile’s dream come true with this eco-friendly soy candle (which comes in a variety of other bookish scents, like Pemberley Rose, The Shire, and Trashy Romance Novel). Perhaps light them with these banned books matches? (Candle: Etsy, $15; matches: Out of Print, $6)
3. Notepaper Tie. For the stylish scribe in your life. Perfect for a longhand writer or professor. (Etsy, $35)
4. Writing Gloves. Let them write comfortably – and warmly! – anywhere their inspiration strikes: in a secret garden, on the moors of England, on the streets of Paris, on the Boston Common. (Storiarts, $26)
5. Scrivener Writing Software. Help them keep the Next Great American Novel organized with this word-processor-cum-project-manager. Equipped with research reference interfaces, virtual notecards and corkboards, outlining tools, and more, this is sure to be a hit with your favorite long-form writer. (Literature and Latte, $45)
6. The Negative Trait Thesaurus or The Positive Trait Thesaurus. Perfect for fiction writers juggling a complicated cast of heroes and villains, these companion books will help them develop and keep track of characters’ personalities, emotions, and motives. (Barnes and Noble, $16 each)
7. Journal of the Month Membership. Surround your favorite writer with greatness with this monthly selection of contemporary literary magazines. With a different title each month, he or she is sure to find something exciting and inspiring. (Journal of the Month website, $96 for twelve issues)
8. Pen Nib Lapel Pin. Subtle and sophisticated, this lapel pin adds a literary touch to any outfit.
(The Literary Gift Company, $6.20)
9. Map of the Literary World. Whether they’re mad for British literature or infatuated with American, they’re sure to love these whimsical maps denoting their favorite authors’ homelands. Perfect for a study or office! (The Literary Gift Company, $19)
10. GrubStreet. No matter what their genre, an individual membership goes a long way for a writer, and a donation to our scholarship fund helps other writers, too. If they’re already a member, try a some Grub swag: mugs, pint glasses, and tote bags are available at GrubStreet headquarters (162 Boylston Street) or through donations to the scholarship fund.
(Individual membership: $60; mugs & pint glasses, $12; tote bags, $15)
Hannah Lamarre is currently a senior at Emerson College, where she is pursuing a BFA in Writing, Literature, and Publishing, with a concentration in fiction and a minor in psychology. She is the fiction editor of Emerson's Gauge magazine, and enjoys reading and writing young adult fiction, seeking out new coffee shops, and petting other people's dogs.
*Image from Wikimedia Commons via Creative Commons License.
Margaret FarrellSee other articles by Margaret Farrell