Porter Square Books is hiring booksellers!
Our friends at Porter Square Books are hiring! Being surrounded by books all day? A staff discount? Recommending all your favs? Yes please. Learn more below.
What does being a bookseller involve?
- Providing great customer service—online, by phone, and in person.
- Keeping the shelves tidy—and, just as important, alphabetized.
- Working the cash register—in the store and at off-site events.
- Other duties as required—sometimes you run the vacuum, and sometimes you restock the bookmark supply.
What does it take? Well, the best booksellers come from all walks of life, but the main requirements are an enthusiasm for books and dedication to excellent customer service. Previous retail or book experience is a plus, but like we said, booksellers come from all backgrounds, so neither are necessary! We will warn you though, contrary to what the media shows, booksellers almost never have time to read on the job.
What do you get?
- No one gets rich in independent bookselling, but we offer competitive pay rates.
- In addition to legal tender in the US and its territories, you’ll also receive
- A staff discount on just about everything we carry
- A staff discount at Café Zing at our Porter Square location
- Vacation and sick time based on hours worked
- Full time booksellers are eligible for our health insurance plan (please note, a full time work week at Porter Square Books consists of 30 hours)