Introducing the 2023 Muse & the Marketplace
Greetings from GrubStreet’s Muse & the Marketplace — helping writers tell their best stories, build exciting careers, and find their audience.
The Muse & the Marketplace has changed a lot in the two decades since the conference first launched in 2002. The past two years alone saw massive transformations from our typical three-day in-person event: first, a fully online conference in 2021, and then, a hybrid experience this year, each lasting several weeks. Throughout these shifts, GrubStreet’s community continually showed up and supported each other's writing journeys in meaningful and surprising ways. Thank you for joining us over the years and offering your vital feedback, which has allowed us to grow and improve the conference at every step.
Today, we're thrilled to announce a new direction combining the best of all worlds into 2023 and beyond:
Starting next year, the Muse & the Marketplace will evolve from an annual conference held only once per year into a conference series featuring year-round online and in-person programming in our new home at the Center for Creative Writing.
Launching in the spring and continuing throughout the year, the new Muse & the Marketplace conference series will create access to opportunities for voices historically marginalized in the writing world, host timely conversations about literary and publishing trends and how they impact writers, facilitate cross-industry connections that lead to powerful working relationships, and create more opportunities for our writing community to connect and feel artistically inspired.
We expect to unveil our initial line-up of spring and summer presenters and dates early in the new year, with registration — including priority access and discounts for GrubStreet members — opening shortly after.
In its first year, the Muse conference series will feature the following:
- The ever popular Manuscript Mart with 1-on-1 agent and editor meetings
- Facilitated, intimate small group conversations with agents and editors
- Unique mentorship conversations in 1-on-1 Writer’s Studio sessions with prominent guest authors publishing exciting new works
- Sessions with industry experts exploring 2023 literary and publishing trends and how they impact writers
- Sessions with exciting authors and their publishing teams exploring their behind-the-scenes working relationships
- Conversations with decision-makers at literary organizations about who should apply, how to get in, and what writers can expect from their experience
- Fun in-person gatherings and parties to network, connect, and learn.
- And more!
While we are not seeking session proposals at this time, we hope to soon reincorporate the ideas and expertise of our community into this new format for fall programming and beyond.
We can’t wait to see you at our conference series in 2023 and to start this next chapter together!
The Muse Team