BIG NEWS: GrubStreet’s New Space Opening Plans & Safety Procedures
We're excited to share a jam-packed update on the status of GrubStreet's new center, a preview of what we've got planned this fall at the space, and the Covid-19 safeguards and policies we're putting in place to protect our community as we begin to slowly open our doors and dip our toes back into in-person offerings.
Though we're not able to host a full schedule of in-person classes and events this fall due to the evolving nature of Covid-19, we're excited to begin offering very limited in-person seminars, open houses, and free writing sessions on the second floor at our new space in the Seaport beginning in October 2021.
Our plan is to gradually ramp back up to a robust slate of in-person courses in the winter and spring of 2022 — though, of course, this is subject to change based on health and safety guidelines. For the time being, all other GrubStreet programs will remain remote unless otherwise noted in the coming months. For anyone not yet ready or unable to join us in-person, we'll continue to offer online classes and events.
For GrubStreet members, we're currently working on creating open houses and other ways for you to both visit the space and use our new community lounge and classrooms to get some writing done. So stay tuned! We'll be sharing updates with members very soon.
In the meantime, check below for more info and learn about how you can connect with GrubStreet both in-person and online this fall.
Limited In-Person Seminars & Events
We’ve been waiting a long time to begin welcoming the GrubStreet community into our new home! Though we’re still completing parts of the space (see our cafe update below!) and working hard to get it fully launched and activated in 2022, we're opening our doors for a few limited Seaport seminars and events this fall to test out our new digs and find our sea legs (ba dum tsh). If you’re interested in joining us in-person, check out our list of upcoming in-person offerings starting this October, including:
- Novel Essentials: Narrative Perspective: Saturday, October 16th, 10:30am-1:30pm with Ursula DeYoung
- Writing Critters: Animal Characters in Fiction and Nonfiction: Wednesday, October 27th, 6:00pm-9:00pm with E.B. Bartels
- Short Story Revision and Submission Strategies Bootcamp: Saturday, November 6th, 10:30am-1:30pm with Shubha Sunder
- The Self, The Writer and The Story: Saturday, November 13th, 10:30am-1:30pm with Simone Dalton
- The New Weird: Wednesday, November 17th, 6:00pm-9:00pm with Peter Medeiros
- Interiority: Fiction’s Inner Landscape: Saturday, December 11th, 10:30am-1:30pm with Timothy Weed
- Novel Generator Open House: Wednesday, October 13th, 6:00pm-7:00pm
- Spring 2022 Open House: Monday, December 6th, 5:30pm-7:00pm [Save the date! Registration link coming soon]
- Novel Incubator Open House: Wednesday, December 8th, 6:00pm-7:00pm [Save the date! Registration link coming soon]
Free Writing Sessions
- Seaport Free Writes: Wednesday, October 6th, 12:15pm-1:30pm with Ethan Gilsdorf
- Seaport Free Writes: Friday, October 22nd, 5:30pm-6:30pm with Stacy Mattingly
- Seaport Free Writes: Wednesday, November 10th, 12:15pm-1:30pm with Peter Medeiros
- Seaport Free Writes: Friday, December 3rd, 5:30pm-6:30pm with E.B. Bartels
Vaccine & Mask Policy
In order to keep our community safe, proof of vaccination against Covid-19 will be required for everyone visiting the second floor to attend in-person classes and events. In accordance with the City of Boston, masks will be required at all times while inside the building, whether you’re on the first or second floor. Learn more about our vaccine and mask policy.
Directions, Parking, Public Transportation
Our new center is located on the southeast side of the 50 Liberty Drive building, facing the Marina and the ICA. There are several parking garages located in the Seaport neighborhood that can be used. And if you’re taking public transportation, GrubStreet’s center is a 4-minute walk from the Silver Line Courthouse stop and a 14-minute walk from South Station. Learn more about traveling to the space.
Have No Fear! Zoom's Still Here!
We’re also excited to share that we’ll keep on Zooming. We have a full schedule of Zoom and Online classes available for you this fall. And even as we ramp back up to a robust in-person slate of course offerings, Zoom classes and events will be an important part of the general mix of GrubStreet offerings moving forward.
Porter Square Books Opening in October
Our friends at Porter Square Books are busy shelving books, getting ready to open officially in October. This fall, they plan on being open seven days a week from 10am - 6pm. We’ll send an announcement to the whole community once we get closer to the official opening date with more details.
GrubStreet Café Coming Soon
We’re still in the midst of building our new café, too! The plan is to serve delicious coffee and espresso, simple breakfast and lunch items, yummy snacks, and (pending approval of our alcohol license — fingers crossed) beer and wine. We’re hoping the café will be ready in winter 2022. Stay tuned for more updates about the café in the coming months.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email us at [email protected].